Monday, April 19, 2010

Like if the Housing Bubble Tweeted Itself.



I feel like I'm being sold snake oil. Social media aficinados are very much nearing the time where we need to stop praising every social media "advancement" and begin to treat it as a widespread and accepted practice. Imagine if even to this day every conversation about television included praise for the technological innovation of that "series of tubes", and how it helps companies and movements get their message out. We got that, decades ago. And we already get it with social media.

Any more hype, and I fear we will be creating a social media bubble, much like the housing bubble, and while not so scarily threatening to our economy, deathly threatening in the short term to this generation's impression of social media. I know, my message forgets that many people are still discovering, or remain blissfully unaware, of social media. I acknowledge that, but my message is directed to the early adopters and leaders of social media.

As early adopters, our responsibility is to push the boundaries on social media. Every time an early adopter stops to marvel and how "changey hopey" social media is, that is a missed opportunity to move the conversation forward.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your take on the social media bubble that is growing today.

    Perhaps more importantly, however, I like your reference to my good friend Ted Stevens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great point of view. Never really thought about it that way but that definitely provides a perspective i can agree with. Its time to stop patting ourselves on the back everytime there is an advancement in social media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreeeddddd like the rest. i really think you've captured something valuable here. good work. :)

    ReplyDelete