Monday, February 22, 2010

Umm, Your Ego is Showing

You don't get a special prize for getting to 1,000 friends.

Job searching is not about friending people who sound interesting, but about nurturing meaningful relationships with relevant individuals in your preferred profession. I use linked in to connect to people who I authentically want to work with in the future. I also use social networking to find out volunteer opportunities or fun events that potential employers of mine are holding. There is nothing more important to finding a job then volunteering for, interning for, or being a regular face at a company/institution.

LinkedIn has not been particularly appealing to me, mainly because I've long since decided to utilize my facebook page much like a LinkedIn page, where I market myself.

Apologies for the short post this week. I think I'm coming down with something and I find it difficult to focus on academic work right now.

1 comment:

  1. i think that your post was a delightful blurb about how you feel as a social media user. i think that your use of linked in for becoming a regular face for something you're genuinely interested in is one of the benefits of developing social media today. there are so many opportunities out there why would you want to spend your time wasting away doing something you don't genuinely enjoy?

    ReplyDelete